Sparkly Me

My photo
teacher, talker, crafter, friend, a child of the King. overall a little bit of sparkle in an otherwise matte world.

Thursday, December 27, 2018

We Need to Do Better

We are playing games at the river and norbit is on. I have never seen it and am barely watching it now. However, I can tell by the way that his plus size wife is being portrayed that all it would do would piss me off even more if I watched it.

I get so tired of it being okay to make large women be the butt of the joke. They are always portrayed as gross, lazy, bossy, nasty, ugly, and pretty much plain awful.

I dream of a world where truly larger women are portrayed in movies as smart and desirable and beautiful and elegant. Plus sized women, really plus sized women, not size 10, do exist who are confident and beautiful and funny in a positive way.

It's no wonder women have the body issues we do. It isn't just about perfect photoshopped women in magazines or unrealistically proportioned Barbie dolls. It is also about how women of any size are shown in the media.

How is a larger women supposed to feel truly confident about herself when the women who look the most like her are shown as a big fat joke all the time. I mean all the time.

We are shown over and over that we aren't worthy of being seen as desirable by men. We are shown over and over that we are the ones picked up by the men who will take anyone just to have a women. We are shown as the left overs.

Even on an episode of the Big Bang theory, Raj, who is so scared of women he physically can't speak to them, hooks up with a woman he picks up at a bar after getting drunk enough to talk to any woman. In the morning he has this smile on his face. He rolls over and she's who he hooked up with. All you see is her arm and it is obvious she is larger. He looks at her. His eyes get big and you see how disgusted he is by the fact that this woman he brought home is a larger girl.

Oh I just get so tired of it. It is drives me crazy. Not too long ago someone posted a picture on Facebook. It was s split screen. On one side there was a man and on the other a woman. Under it it said something about, "To be attractive a man must have..." And a long list ensued about having a job, being responsible, funny, smart, etc. etc. etc.

The same thing was under the woman and it said something about the woman having a body or being pretty or something of the sort. It was supposed to be something about how hard it is to be a man. I just rolled my eyes and commented saying that yeah, but a woman can have/be all those things and still not be considered desirable because she isn't hot or pretty or whatever it said,

Basically I just want media to be responsible once and awhile snd realize how gorgeous inside and out all women of all sizes, shapes, and colors are and stop adding fuel to the fire that large women aren't attractive.

As one of my former students told me once after I had lost a lot of weight and began to gain it back and he saw me out and about and he said, "Miss graham I like you better like you are now cause any man can drive on a straight road, but it takes a professional driver to handle curves like that."

No comments: